Thursday, May 04, 2006

Absence of fear - Jewel

All of us have different fears. I blogged previously about people who are afraid of losing their power and position. A mate blogged recently about her fear of crockroaches. The other day, our lecturers tried to calm down some of the fears and terrors that we are facing as the exams draw near.

Some try to justify their fears - to the point of absurdity! A flatmate is terrified of dogs and there was once when she jumped at the sight of a tiny cute little dog. Another girl asked her why she was so afraid since the dog is so much smaller compared to her. The reply was that she was afraid that she might hurt the dog!!!! Right...

Some fears are surprising - like the guys in me flat are fearful of horror movies! I told them once to watch "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" as it received really good reviews. We all decided to watch the trailer first on IMDB. After watching it, it was a unanimous decision! Yeah, me too! We watched something else.

Some fears are addictive! I know another mate who is absolutely terrified of horror movies - but she can't stop watching them!

Some fears are irrational - when bird flu broke out in Asia last year, some of me flatmates swore off poultry! Even tho the bird flu (at that time) was in a different continent. Even tho one cannot catch the bird flu by eating properly cooked poultry!!! When challenged wif these facts, they give you a conspiratorial look and say in a low voice "That's what they want you to think..."!

Oh, and Eurostar was advertising that Dennis Berkamp has oredi booked his train ride to Paris for the Champions League Finals there - all footie fans know his fear of flying.

Me? I had a glimpse of my greatest fear today. My phone rang - and surprise, surprise, it was me sister. Why would she call me on me mobile??? Red flag up. The tone of her "no nonsense" greeting pulled up another red flag. She then said that she only "just found out" when she got home... and her voice told me it was bad news. For that split second, i was seized wif terror and dread. I could almost guess wat it was all about. Something horrible must have happenned to someone at home...

Well, it wasn't. It wasn't good news either, but it was a pretty trivial matter - to me anyway. I guess in light of what i was dreading, the news turned out to be welcoming!!!!!

My greatest fear? Something happenning to my family back home when i'm here so far away. I had the same fear when i was here doing me undergraduate studies back then.

While we can pray and trust God in everything, i dun think we can fully free ourselves from all fear. Can we? The only time when there is an absence of fear is when we are in the presence of the Lord, experiencing his love.

But perfect love casts out fear - 1 John 4v18

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?