Monday, October 03, 2005

Can't buy me love - The Beatles

Today was a day for shopping. Was so proud of meself. Did grocery shopping for less than 10 quid! I had initially planned to allocate a maximum amount of 10 quid a week for groceries. No, that is not too little. 10 years ago, I survived on 7 quid a week – yeah, 1 a day.

But wif inflation so low and the cost of living here even lower, it is possible to live on 10 quid a week on groceries alone.

In fact, some of the things I bought will last me for more than a week – the 2 litres of milk and cereal I bought for 2 quid will cover breakfasts for many a day!

Here’s the super duper boring break-down:-

Round lettuce 0.34
Gala apples 0.98
Bananas 1.16
Doughnuts 0.50
Eggs 1.24
Pork mince 0.89
Frozen corn 0.95
Choc digestives 0.29
Fruit & fibre cereal 0.95
Fresh milk 1.02
Baked beans 0.13
Spaghetti 0.27
Garlic 0.65
Tuna chunks 0.29
Noodles 0.08

That’s it. I’m a loyal Tesco customer from now on!!!! Some of the prices of stuffs are similar to those back in Malaysia AFTER CONVERTING THE CURRENCY!!!! In fact, it is even cheaper! Like the tuna and choc digestives are RM1.97 each. The 500 g spaghetti is RM 1.83. The box of cereal, tho not as tasty as “Posts” cereal but still good is RM6.46!!!! Much much cheaper! Baked beans is RM0.89 a can. And forget about maggee mee noodles. Tesco instant noodles costs RM0.54 a pack. And it has bacon flavoured noodles too!

On top of that, Tesco is open 24 hours!!!! Woohoo! But thanks to JL’s blog, I din fell into the “small-print” trap. It is not opened 24 hours everyday! Only from Mondays to Thursdays. Still good enuf, isn’t it?

Further, we get to collect points on the Tesco Clubcard – which is given free!!!!

Wow, this is a real free-plug for Tesco!!! But I’m happy wif them. They really help save money – so much so that the other day when I was in town, I couldn’t help resist treating meself to Burger King!!!!! Hey, it was a rodeo double burger which was going for 1.99. Haven’t had a rodeo or so long and this was a double! I was oso starving and it was cold and I had to walk back to me halls which would take about 45 mins!

Having said that, I understand that they prolly kill off a lot of small grocerers and butchers.

But ah… cest la vie!

The tag-line on the Clubcard says “Every little helps”. It really does. And while money can’t buy me love, it can sure help fund my wanderlustings!!!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?