Friday, June 30, 2006

Unforgettable - Nat King Cole

I had an unforgettable day yesterday - i spent the whole day in the Wimbledon grounds! Man, it was like a dream come true for me!


Me ticket and me queue card. Wimbledon is the only Grand Slam tournament where u have to queue up to get tickets!!!! Thank God they issued queue cards!

I survived the entire day on just a slice of toast and a cup of coffee which Fred made for me that morning - but only cuz he insisted on making sumthing for me and i finally agreed to one slice of toast! There were times i felt like fainting under the blazing hot sun - i was just running on adrenaline!!!!

Watching the games in real life is different from watching it "live". For one - which i realised quickly - i had to pay attention all the time. There were no instant replays!!!! :-)

Another was that i had to control myself. I mean, i tend to get quite noisy and involved while watching the games live telecast back home (until me mom will come downstairs and wonder who is making all the noise at 2 am in the morning!!!!)!

But i realised that i could easily cost the players points. There were a few occasions at the beginning when i blurted out "Out!!!" - but the linesperson did not agree. It was a good thing it wasn't loud enuf to distract the players - i was at Court 18 and i was standing at an elevated place. But when i went to the smaller courts later, i had to keep in mind to shut up!

I almost lost it during this one game between a Japanese pair and a Russian pair. The Jap girl hit a brilliant forehand which landed on the line - it was so obvious as the line was less than 10 feet away from me - and i specifically saw the chalk flew up! The linesperson at the other end called "Out"! I was flabbergasted and started telling people around me "But the chalk flew up"!!!! I was almost gonna shout to the umpire... yeah, got too involved. It was fun!

The emotions are so raw among the players too! Sure, you get the close-ups on TV in slo-mo too but to have them just a few feet away from you, shouting in frustration (Bracialli in Italian, Dementieva in Russian, Shiau Peng in Mandarin etc.), it is different - you actually feel it!

Read more of me experience here (and find out why i'm so thankful they issued "Queue Cards"). Oh, i managed to take lots of pics in "Sports Mode" which turned out pretty well! You can view those pics and read more of me experience here.

I oso bought the most expensive t-shirt i had bought in me life:-

Posted by Picasa

It was worth it! Really! Hear me justifications here! ;-)

p/s - Ru, the t-shirt is the reason why i couldn't afford the strawberries and cream...

Comments:
there's no other way to say it: i'm GREEN(!) with envy over your wimbledon day.;) and your super-cool t-shirt too of coz. my sis has been to aussie open 2 yrs in a row now and is nice enough to buy me their shirts. i'm keeping my fingers crossed i'll see it live in person one day though. the only live sports experience i've had so far was the badminton msian open which was held here this year. and oh, the youth world cup waaaaaaay back in '97. mebe aim for F1 sepang 1st huh? btw, what's the british press saying abt eng's exit?
 
is that a subtle hint for me to get a t-shirt for you? ;-P

u mean u din go for wimbledon when u were here????? oh well - u have my permission to live vicariously thru me experience! ;-)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?