Sunday, November 20, 2005

Knocking on heaven's door - Guns N' Roses

I'll always remember Jack. He was the first person in Maldon Road Chapel who spoke to me. I was sitting behind him during the service and immediately after the service, he turned around and introduced himself. He started chatting wif me along wif his wife, Joyce.

I found out later that he was one of the elders of the church.

The thing about it is that I found such warmth and friendliness in him. I have spoken to other leaders from other churches - all of whom are nice and friendly - but there was sumthing extra in Jack.

I must admit that that incident played a main role in me wanting to return again to MRC. And I did.

Unfortunately, in this month itself, I have attended more Breaking of Bread services than Jack. 2 Sundays ago, we learnt that Jack was not feeling too well - which was alarming as Jack never gets sick.

I found out today that Jack is in the late stages of cancer - no one knew until last Wednesday. His condition is deteriorating and he is on an oxygen mask now.

Even Joyce din come today, staying at home to take care of Jack.

But the brothers who went to visit him could only talk of how strong spiritually Jack is - in fact, they are talking like he is going to die for sure soon. Yet, there was nothing morbid about it as the focus was on the hope and joy Jack will have, on the thankfulness of having had him in our midst, of the encouragement he still brings to us even at this point of time.

Depending on his condition, they'll have a breaking of bread service at his home on Tuesday nite - at his request, of course.

This reminds me of the verse etched on the tombstone of a dear fren's mom:-

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith

p/s - pray for Jack and Joyce

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?