Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Hold me in your arms - Rick Astley

As I said my goodbyes to me mates at Heathrow last week, this lady - a motherly figure to me in Church - hugged me, saying "Let's do it (say goodbye) the British way"!

Just a couple of days before that, when I met up wif another mate, he greeted me with a warm hug.

Since back in my undergraduate days, I've appreciated the importance of a touch - of getting physical! No, dun get me wrong - you know I dun mean that!

It is nice to show your affection and appreciation physically - to hold a person's hand, to rest your head on another's shoulders, to put your arms round a good fren, to hold another person or just to sit close to each other.

Me flat-mate from Greece, Michael was telling me that it is very normal for people to show their frenship and love in a physical way. When they said goodbye, they'd kiss each other on the cheek (which I found out when we walked Stella - another Greek girl - back to her halls the other nite). Of course, now that he is here and living among international students, he is very careful. But when he is among his Greek mates, they display their comradeship openly.

I remembered back when we graduated - all us Malaysians - we were living under one roof (after being kicked out of the Halls) for a couple of weeks. When it time for us to go our separate ways - some to Malaysia but different states, others to other parts o the UK - we had an emotional time wishing our farewells (for me at least - not knowing when we'll ever get to be together like that again. As it is, til this day, we have not) at our little house in Ilford Lane where we hugged each other goodbye.

Many weeks after that, I returned home and got one of those mates to pick me up at the airport. When I saw her, I went up to her, ready to greet her wif a hug - only to be greeted by an outstretched hand, albeit accompanied by a warm smile.

I reached out and shook her hand warmly. It sank in - I was back in Malaysia!

Comments:
heyyy!! when i goodbye hugged you you were super cold! hmph!
 
yeah, you were freezing to ME TOO !
u wouldn't even egt outta the car u monkey face
 
i guess that's wat happens after 10 years plus back in m'sia...

:-(
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?