Saturday, August 05, 2006

Classic - Adrian Gurvitz

I finally watched it! After all these years!!!! The fact that i know so much of the movie, memorised lines from it - and even know how it ends - but still enjoyed it immensely shows what a brilliant movie it is! But then again, Casablanca is not in every major Top Movie lists for no reason!

I mean, how many serious movie lovers (and even the not-so-serious ones too!) do not know of the following lines:-

Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she had to walk into mine.

Play it, Sam. Play "As Time Goes By."

Kiss me. Kiss me as if it were the last time.

Ilsa: But what about us?
Rick: We'll always have Paris.

Here's looking at you kid.

I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

There are a lot of things which make a movie appeal to me (incidentally, i listed down 10 reasons why i think Casablanca is a classic - read it here). One of the main things is the script! Clever, witty, sarcastic, loaded, cryptic, hilarious, romantic - and the script in Casablanca has it all!

Here are some - to bring back wonderful memories for those who have watched it, and to try to induce those who havent to seek it out and watch it:-

Rick: And remember, this gun is pointed right at your heart.
Captain Renault: That is my least vulnerable spot.

Rick: If it's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?
Sam: My watch stopped.

Victor Laszlo: You know how you sound, Mr. Blaine? Like a man who's trying to convince himself of something he doesn't believe in his heart.

Ilsa: I wish I didn't love you so much.

Ugarte: You know, Rick, I have many a friend in Casablanca, but somehow, just because you despise me, you are the only one I trust.

Captain Renault: Rick, there are many exit visas sold in this café, but we know that you've never sold one. That is the reason we permit you to remain open.
Rick: Oh? I thought it was because I let you win at roulette.
Captain Renault: That is another reason.

Ugarte: You despise me, don't you?
Rick: If I gave you any thought I probably would.

Yvonne: Where were you last night?
Rick: That's so long ago, I don't remember.
Yvonne: Will I see you tonight?
Rick: I never make plans that far ahead.

Captain Renault: What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?
Rick: My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters.
Captain Renault: The waters? What waters? We're in the desert.
Rick: I was misinformed.

Rick: How can you close me up? On what grounds?
Captain Renault: I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!
[a croupier hands Renault a pile of money]
Croupier: Your winnings, sir.
Captain Renault: [sotto voce] Oh, thank you very much.
[aloud]
Captain Renault: Everybody out at once!

Rick: I congratulate you.
Victor Laszlo: What for?
Rick: Your work.
Victor Laszlo: I try.
Rick: We all try. You succeed.

Yes, many a movie have since tried to impress like Casablanca did - but very few succeed like it did.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?