Sunday, March 05, 2006

I will follow you - Ricky Nelson

The Calling of Levi (Luke 9)

27After this, Jesus went out and saw a tax collector by the name of Levi sitting at his tax booth. "Follow me," Jesus said to him,

28and Levi got up, left everything and followed him.

29Then Levi held a great banquet for Jesus at his house, and a large crowd of tax collectors and others were eating with them.

30But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law who belonged to their sect complained to his disciples, "Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and 'sinners'?"

31Jesus answered them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick.

32I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."

The preacher spoke on the above passage earlier. He summed it up with 5 "C"s:-

Calling v 27

When God calls, it is a personal call. There is no "To whom it may concern" calls. And his calling will always have a RSVP at the bottom. His calling is usually immediate too. Jesus din ask Levi to "clean-up his act", return all the money he had wrongfully taken, make peace with the general public and then - only then - go and follow Jesus. The call to Levi was there and then.

Commitment v 28

Levi is a good example. A response to the calling by Jesus will require commitment. It is interesting to note that among all the 12 apostles, Levi probably had the most to give up. You see, for some of the 12, they are fishermen and they could always return back to be fishermen (and some did after the crucifixion - see John 20).

But when it came to Levi, he just got up and left everything - his money, and his position. Mind you, it's not every Tom Dick or Harry who can be a tax-collector. Further, you can be rest assured that there are many in line for Levi's job. When he left evrything, he left behind a lot - but that is the sign of his commitment!

Celebration v 29

Despite leaving a well-paid job, Levi - instead of counting his losses - threw a big party! He must have been overjoyed - and why not? He was the scum of the earth as all tax-collectors were back in those days. But now, he has met Jesus - who has called him and has forgiven him of his sins!

He oso used the opportunity to tell all his frens about this Jesus - nosiree, he was not ashamed of Jesus or of the fact that he left good money to live with a poor carpenter. He wanted all his frens to know.

Criticism v 30

Yet, in the midst of the rejoicing, there were signs of the difficult road ahead. The diciples - Levi included - were condemned by the religious leaders. Instead of praising him, encouraging him and rejoicing with him, they came to criticise Levi.

Challenge v 30-31

The challenge is made to all! Jesus did not come to call the righteous - and we know that there are none who are righteous. Therefore, the challenge is to everyone - to repent and to live for him.

The challenge is there before us now - shall we heed the calling, and commit ourselves? There will be much celebration - but be prepared for criticism too.

I will follow Him
Follow Him wherever He may go,
And near Him, I always will be
For nothing can keep me away,
He is my destiny.

I will follow Him,
Ever since He touched my heart I knew,
There isn't an ocean too deep,
A mountain so high it can keep,
Keep me away, away from His love.

I love Him, I love Him, I love Him,
And where He goes,
I'll follow, I'll follow, I'll follow.
he'll always be my true love, my true love, my true love
from now until forever, forever, forever

I will follow Him,
Follow Him wherever He may go,
There isn't an ocean too deep,
A mountain so high it can keep,
Keep me away, away from His love...

We will follow Him,
Follow Him wherever He may go,
There isn't an ocean too deep,
A mountain so high it can keep,
Keep us away, away from His love...

I love Him
(Oh yes I love Him)
I'll follow
(I'm gonna follow)
True love
(He'll always be my true, true love)
Forever
(Now until forever)
I love Him, I love Him, I love Him,
And where He goes,
I'll follow, I'll follow, I'll follow,
He'll always be my true love,
My true love, my true love,
From now until forever,
Forever, forever...

There isn't an ocean too deep,
A mountain so high it can keep,
Keep me away, away from His love

("I will follow Him" - taken from Sister Act OST)


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?