Monday, March 27, 2006

Never say goodbye - Bon Jovi

It happens time and time again - but it never fails to amaze me. Music can bring back wonderful memories.

I was listening to Bon Jovi's "These Days" album - and it was inevitable when i started thinking of Steph. After all, the first time i listened to the album was when i listened to the cassette that she duplicated for me.

Ah... we go back so long. It's funny, really. We were coursemates in UM. She would be the goodie student sitting at the front of the lecture hall while i was one of those sleeping at the back. My seminar class is immediately after hers - so for those brief moments, we'd meet! There were even times when she couldn't make it for hers so she joined ours.

Yeah, i must admit i used to have a crush on her. But i wasnt the only one. So did all the other guys. She was no doubt one of the cutest girls around - if not the cutest!

Then came the Bon Jovi concert in M'sia - and to our surprise, she went oso. Altho we din see each other there, we talked about it back in Uni after the concert.

It was close to the exams when she told me of the "new" album - and then she offered to dub it for me! You should have seen the jealous/impressed looks on the guys' face when i received the cassette along wif a note from her!

I still have that cassette somewhere at home in M'sia! Hey, it was a brilliant album! We talked about it and the day of the exam, she passed the lyrics of all the songs - all handwritten by herself!

Unfortunately, i din "seize the day" and i did not get her contact number. I never saw her again... til months later - when she turned up at me office for an interview!!! She got the position as a student-in-chambers - and she had to share a room with the senior student-in-chambers at that time - me! :-)

It was quite sad - a small tiny room closest to the exit, with only one table to be shared by the 2 of us. So we basically spent the next few months working in the same room, facing each other. She laughed one morning as i put on my tie - she said that she gets to see me tie my tie every day! Yup, that's Steph - doesnt take much to amuse her!

It was those days together together when i realised how we always just seem to "miss" each other. She was born prematurely on the 1st of December. If she had been born when she was due - in January the following year - she would have been the same age as i was.

The significance? Well, we both studied at Stamford college, we both obtained our degree from the university of East London, we both did a twinning programme. As such, when i started my first year at Stamford, she finished hers and went to UEL for her 2nd and 3rd year. I only went to UEL on my 3rd year - the year after she graduated!!!

But we did meet finally in UM.

After our exams in UM, she worked for a while at an insurance company - met a guy and was going out wif him when she came over to my office. We got close and it was "safe" then to tell her that i used to have a crush on her back in the UM days. Guess wat? She said she felt the same too back then!!!!!

Aaaaaarrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!

But we ended up as really good frens! And we had such a wonderful time working together. Of course, being the same room day in and day out under stressful conditions of a litigation lawyer's life did put some strain on our frenship - altho on hindsight, it prolly made it stronger.


I was just recalling some of the wonderful memories we had. There was once when i had a hearing at Muar and she was back home in M'cca - so we arranged that i would spend the nite at her place and then we'd go for the hearing together. I slept on her bed - wif her soft toys!!!! She slept wif her mom! After the hearing, we went back to her place, chatted wif her mom and looked at her wedding photos - she was getting married in a couple of months time.

Her wedding was another wonderful time for us. I remember as we walked out of the church, everyone was shaking hands wif her mom extending their congratulations. When i came up to her mom wif an outstretched hand, she greeted me wif open arms, hugged me, saying "You are family"!! I was so touched by that!

Sadly, her marriage oso meant that she had to leave us. She started her new life back in M'cca and i went on wif mine in KL. It came to a point when we'd only receive text messages from each other 5 times a year - Christmas, New Year, Easter, her birthday and mine. Oops - make that 4 times! ;-P

The last time i spoke to her was when i went down to M'cca in 2004 - altho she wasnt free to meet up, we had a wonderful chat over the phone. I told her that i'll go back down to see her before i leave for UK.

I did not keep my word. :-(

Back to the cassette she dubbed for me - one thing special was the addition of one song not in the album. It was her favourite Bon Jovi song and she included it in the cassette. The song is "Never say goodbye". I always think of her when i listen to that song.

We may be worlds apart now but come Christmas, New year, Easter and the 1st of December, we'd hear from each other. And i know that no matter how far we have drifted away from each other, we'll never say goodbye.

Thanks for your frenship, Steph! :-)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?