Monday, August 07, 2006

How am I supposed to live without you - Michael Bolton

*Due to threats made against the blogger, the scheduled post regarding the movie "The Lakehouse" has been indefinately postponed ;-P*

It was with some nostalgia and interest when i read that yesterday was the 15th anniversary of the internet! Yup, it was on the 6th August 1991 that "...links to the fledgling computer code for the www were put on the alt.hypertext discussion group so others could download it and play with it" (read it here).

The internet is only a teenager! So young!

But yet, can you imagine the world today without internet? I don't know about you but the internet is so intertwined into my life now that the thought of not having it raises fear in me! I dread the day when i have to move out of Uni campus and say goodbye to the wonderfully fast and reliable 24/7 internet connection we have in our rooms.

I remember the first time using it - it was way back in 1993 when i used it to send e-mails to me mate in Nottingham. Then, i was in Barking, at UEL. As the people back home do not have the technology yet (my family, not my country), i only used it with me mates in the UK Unis who have access to it.

Today, the first thing i do when i get up is to turn on me laptop, check mail, read news and me mates' blogs. The last thing i do before i read my bible, pray and sleep is to turn off me laptop.

The most important contribution to me life is the way how it has helped me - and is still helping me - keep close to me family and me mates. In fct, i felt like i've drawn closer to some of me mates back home since i left there and come over here!!!! With e-mails, blogs, instant messaging, on-line chats and games, the avenues are endless.

Just last nite, i stayed up late reading a mates' blog and viewing her pics - it was like travelling with her.

I've made frens with strangers - and some of them are my closest confidants, even tho we have never physically met!

The 2nd biggest contribution - and mind you, a very close 2nd - is the wealth of info i can acess with just typing on the keyboards! Just today, i was reading online about the Qinghan-Tibet railway, the highest railway in the world - which i hope to take in my ambitious trip of going back home over land in the near future! I get so much details about it, view pics of the interior of the train, see the scenery and even find out the price of the tickets - all in the comfort of me room.

That's just a small example. My ever-curious mind has most of the time been satiated with the info i can find on-line. Gone are the days when i have to go to the library or bookshop and dig up the info.

I know that it is not good but i really wonder how i can live without internet.

I try to comfort meself by reminding me that there had been times when i did go without internet for many a day - like when i went for me back-packing trip into the interiors of Sarawak, or when the modem got fried, or when me PC had to be sent to the shop. I just hope that this means that i can live without it - life may be a little bit more difficult but i have survived without it for so many years before 1991.

Still, i thank God for having it today.


Oops - too many candles?

Belated Birthday wishes, Internet. Here's looking at you, kid!

Comments:
indefinitely... i dunno y. somehow the word definite must be spelled correctly. definitely need to check y this is so.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?