Sunday, October 23, 2005

Brothers in arms - Dire Straits

brethren - plural of BROTHER -- used chiefly in formal or solemn address or in referring to the members of a profession, society, or sect

(definition obtained from Merriam-Webster online)


I grew up in a brethren assembly.

What??

I always get that when people ask me which Christian denomination I'm associated wif. Unfortunately, the brethren seems to be a dying breed here in the UK and in the US (the Merriam-Webster Online dictionary does not even recognise the Brethren as a Christian denomination!!!!).

I have heard many sad stories about the brethren assembly here - how close they are, how they forbid things like wearing make-up for the ladies, how they literally gather around the table for their breaking of bread service (you can imagine how small the church is) and if you are not a brethren (or possess some evidence that you are a brethren), you will have to sit on the "outer circle" and not participate!!!

It is therefore no surprise that it is only on my 3rd Sunday here that I decided to check out the brethren assembly in town.

I almost din make it. I slept wif me windows opened as usual - and when I woke up this morning to the sound of me alarm, I jumped out, shut all windows and curled under me duvet again. It was 45 mins later when I woke up again.

I was late.

But I learnt my lesson - besides making sure I wake up earlier! A simple lesson - dun let pre-conceived notions cloud your judgment!

I had a wonderful time - not only during the meeting but after the meeting. Sure they were brethren - but no strict observance to traditions. They sang choruses in addition to hymns. But most of all, I felt the warmth of the believers there!

Typically, it was filled wif old people - well, not "filled" as there were prolly less than 15. Mainly old people. But they were soooooo warm and frenly and nice! They really made me feel welcomed. When I was about to walk in late and surely distract everyone, I was dreading it - it'd be just like back home when people will be judging me in their hearts, or take offense at how I'm distracting their wonderful time wif God. Not this morning, tho. They welcomed me in wif their smiles - the heat from the radiators which misted up my specs immediately was like an illustration of their hospitality - come on in from the cold!

The elder's wife brought me to everyone else and introduced me.

I even received an invitation for lunch immediately!


I felt at home. :-)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?