Sunday, October 30, 2005

Turn back time - Aqua

I remember when I was young and I used to love playing this board game - Payday - wif me bro and me sis. I was really young then - and it was my first exposure to "Daylight Savings". There was this square where if anyone lands on it, everyone will have to move one step backwards. Of course back then, we never fully understood wat it was all about.

Well, this morning, the clocks all went back an hour. To people like me, it's quite a significant thing since I come from Malaysia and we never do this kinda things! Suddenly, we gain an hour - especially for us who go to church, last nite we were thankful for the additional hour of sleep we had (altho I was late again this morning).

I can still remember in spring of 1994 when the clocks all go forward an hour. I was telling me juniors (who only came over in February and hence did not experience the daylight savings in November '93) that the clocks will go forward the next day. Of course all 3 of them (girls, mind you) refused to believe me. So I challenged them to stay up and listen to the radio.

The only catch was that for reasons which I still dun know, the clocks only go forward and go back at 2 am! (Can sumone enlighten me?)

So at 12 midnite, all 4 of us were listening intently to 95.8 Capital FM and when they announced the time shortly after midnite, 3 pairs of female eyes glared at me! They thought it was a really bad joke.


The next morning, all of them were LATE FOR CLASSES!!!!!! Hahahaha! Serves them right. When I saw them again the next nite, they were all complaining how they were late and missed classes etc. while I listened silently wif a smug look on my face.

Oh, of course they did not at any point of time acknowledged that I was right after all and that they shud have believed me. What did you expect? They were, after all, girls! :-P

The main drawback bout the whole thing is that it's only 5:20 pm and it's oredi dark outside.

Comments:
i believe it was decided that daylight saving starts and ends at 2am (greenwich mean time) because it's late enough to have mininum effect on businesses, and prevents the day from switching to yesterday, which would be confusing.

sorry to rub it in, but it gets dark at 8.30pm in melbourne now =)

.k.
 
hhmmm... makes sense, i guess - the part bout switching back to yesterday. but why not at 1 am then? oh, nvm...

just u wait. we'll get our long summer days back next year! and perhaps a white christmas (instead of christmas at the beach???).
 
christmas at the beach - don't knock it till you've tried it!! =)

as for the daylight saving time - i should point out it was decided by the americans. (like that's supposed to make more sense now)

.k.
 
those bl**dy yanks again!!!! Britain is fast losing its identity. Halloween is now the 2nd biggest celebration here. It's so dumb. Sigh...

ok - i won't say anything bout x'mas on the beach. it's just that... it's so weird. it's like having snow during summer hols!

;-P
 
what can i say, after 8 years you sorta get used to it =). christmas is all about the barbies (barbecues) here.

next stop for me will be a white-christmas destination, then i can say i've tried it all! will tell u which i prefer :p

.k.
 
well, colchester welcomes you - and so do I! :-)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?