Monday, November 21, 2005

Forever young - Alphaville

This post is specially dedicated to Augustine, Stephan, Ling, Chris, Caryn, Ramani, Martin, Hong and Joanna, me fellow Marley Hall mates from the autumn of 1993 til the summer of 1994.

Hey guys,

I went back to our Uni last week. It felt so weird, taking the District line tube - I believe it was the very same tube we used to take back then! Really!!! The only differnce is that the seat cushions have been changed. Other than that, it was the same old - even more run-down - tube. (Last week-end, I noticed that they had new District line trains).

When I got off the tube at Barking station, it was truly like traveling back in time. It was the same. WH Smith is still at the station and the corner shop selling coffee still welcomes you wif the smell of freshly brewed coffee.

I decided to walk down Longbridge Road ( haven't heard that name for a while-eh?) as I always used to do last time. Other than the new additions like Nandos and Dominos and a few internet cafes, it was still the same. Somersfield has been taken over by Asda. "Simons" is still operating!!

I walked past Barclays - not the one in town but where we opened our account - and stepped into the Post Office near Co-op. The butcher is still there!

And then I saw it - UEL!!!! It looks quite good, actually. There is one major change - the security is heightened. You cannot enter the compound without swiping your student card at the door. But I sneaked in thru the gate for the car. Oh, Pizza Town opposite our halls is still operating but the sports shop has now been replaced by a DVD shop!!!

The I found out that you had to swipe your card again to enter any building!!! Fortunately, someone inside saw me struggling wif the door and nicely opened it from inside for me. Students helping fellow-students! Cheers, mate!

You know wat? I almost can't remember the interior at all!!! Can u remember your classes? And oh, do you remember the name of the bar next to the sports centre - where we reather go instead of the noisy SU bar?

Yup, it's Crammers!

Marley Hall is still the same. The main difference is that they planted some trees and bushes on the courtyard - no more footie there!!!! And I dun think they replaced the lights on the courtyard ever since that drunk girl kicked down all of it!!!! Stupid girl.


Marley Hall 2005

After that, I went back to Ilford Lane! You know wat? i couldn't remember the house number - until I reached there. It was unmistakable - the "sarm char low" was a giveaway, tho! :-P There was a "sold" sign in front of the house and some workers were digging in the front yard. And yes, you remember the fallen wall at the front? It's still not replaced (unless it was torn down for the digging!!!!)

I must say that some points of time, I got choked up wif emotions. The memories just came flooding back - right from the tube station all the way to the Uni. I remember who I was wif and wat we did at any particular place, the crazy things, the fun things!


And at one point, I just felt so sad that it is all in the past. Why can't everyday be like it was back then? Why couldn't we stay forever young and lived life to the full like we did back then? We had the time of our life there, din we?

As I left Barking, I felt very thankful for you guys - no, not the place. Some things are the same and some have changed. I dun think I'd ever wanna go back there to live there again. But the place will always be special - but only because it was you guys that made it special!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?