Monday, November 21, 2005

Lie to me - Bon Jovi

The etiquette of unwanted presents
By Emma Griffiths

From porcelain dogs and novelty teapots to musical socks and beaded car seats, the chances are most households will be receiving a few unwanted gifts this Christmas.

The cost of this year's unwanted novelty Christmas items and other presents will reach a massive £1.3bn, says the Abbey bank.

Debrett's, publishers of the Guide to Etiquette and Modern Manners, recommends you should accept them with good grace.

But if Auntie Sue says: "If you don't like it, I've kept the receipt", is it polite to take her up on the offer?

To find the answer, read the entire article here.

I met up wif a mate last Tuesday. He gave me a watch as a farewell gift before I came over here.


To be honest, I was more impressed wif the casing that the watch came in than the watch itself!!!!

I mean, there's really nuthing bad wif the watch. But it's just not one that I would wear. For one thing, it has no date. I'm so used to having watches wif dates that it'll feel weird and incomplete if I wear one which deos not tell me the date! Perhaps, more importantly, it had a leather strap. I NEVER wear watches wif a metal strap.

You see, I wear me watch ALL THE TIME. I wear it to sleep, I wear it to cook, I wear it to classes, I wear it to the toilet, ... and I wear it when I take me shower. I used to have a leather strap watch - and the leather began to smell cuz I never take it off.

Even if I take it off during shower, I sweat a lot and the strap will get wet!

So, a couple of years ago, I bought 2 watches - for good! Until it dies! They die! One was for active use - a Casio G-Shock and the other was a formal matt silver metal strapped watch.

The only time I take off me watch is when I want to change to the other watch!

So how was I to tell me mate? He was so excited about the watch ("It's made in the USA, man!"). I smiled and feign happiness when I unwrapped the watch.

And I brought it over here - cuz he told me that I better bring it over. And I dun wanna lie to him.

So when I went to meet up wif him, I wore the watch for the first time!

He saw it. He was prolly checking and see if I wore it - and he was so so pleased to see that I did.

I'm such a hypocrite, aren't I? But wat could I have done????

p/s - after wearing it for more than one day (and yes, I did get it wet when I took me shower that day!!!!), I must admit, that it looked quite good on me!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?