Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Tears in heaven - Eric Clapton

It always promised to be sumthing special. I'm talking about 25th of December 2005. After all, come that day, I would have achieved something that even Jesus did not during his earthly life - celebrate a 34th year of human existence.

More than that, I knew it would only be the second time in me short life that I would celebrate it away from home, away from family, away from me loved ones.

Still, I was excited. I planned me trip in such a way that I could countdown to X'mas in Edinburgh. And wat better place to do it that in St Giles' Cathedral, the very place where John Knox himself preached before!!!!


Pic obtained from www.stgilescathedral.org.uk Posted by Picasa


Unfortunately, Michele did not feel well enuf to go and her mate, not a Christian, decided to stay in wif her. Not that I was complaining as I needed some time on me own.

I rushed excitedly to make it to the Cathedral for the 11:30 pm watchnight service. Even tho I was early, there was only standing room left. I was left in awe, standing in the huge cathedral wif wonderful stained glasses, a huge tree given by Her majesty, the Queen herself, and the sound of the majestic pipe organ being played. I tried to imagine John Knox on the pulpit, not needing a microphone, preaching powerfully the true gospel, the message that the just shall live by faith, that the scriptures is for all to study and learn.

The choir started off the proceedings and we joined in wif the singing of the familiar carols (tho some were in unfamiliar tunes) and listened to the scripture reading of the nativity passages.

At the stroke of midnite, I shook hands wif the strangers around me, wishing and being wished a Happy Christmas (not the usual "Merry Christmas" - while I was the only one who wished "Blessed Christmas". Old habits are hard to break!).

Yet, as the service drew to an end and we sang the wonderful "O Come All ye Faithful" together wif the choir and accompanied by the pipe organ, I found myself crying.

It was a mixture of many emotions in me which drew out the tears. I missed home. I missed me mates. The familiar strains of the carols were heart-warming. I was in such a majestic place. The pipe organ was brilliant. I was celebrating the birth of Jesus!

But there was oso sadness. Great sadness. Despite all the carols and scripture reading, there was no message about why Jesus came to earth. Nothing about the gospel was preached. The fact that we were sinners in need of a saviour was not even hinted.

Instead, we got a message of peace and goodwill to all. We were told to be good neighbours to each other. We were asked to pray that terrorism would end. We were exhorted to be better men and women. We were reminded to be thankful for family and frens.

And when we closed in prayer, there was no worship or praise offered to Jesus. There was no mention of how thankful we are for his coming. Instead, we prayed for peace among each other, prayed for the children all over the world that they will be protected.

Sure, all these things are important. But so pointless if we lose sight of what gives them meaning - the birth of Jesus. If Jesus did not come, having peace on earth and being good neighbours will have no meaning at all.

On the day set aside to remember how the Son fo God took on the form of frail human flesh to be born, not as a a king but as a lowly carpenter's son in a manger, to live a live and to die for the sins of mankind, we were instead thinking of anything but that. Instead of offering our praise and worship to the King of kings and the Lord of lords, the Immanuel - God is with us, we were caught up thinking about peace and goodwill. We were worshipping the gift instead of the giver.

I wondered how John Knox would react had he been there.

Then I had an awful realisation that Jesus himself was present. But instead of being showered with praise and adoration, instead of being the centre of our thoughts and worship, he was neglected. Perhpas one would expect this if it was a pub or a dance hall. But this was in a building which was built for His glory!!!!

On the first Christmas day, the heavens were filled were praises sung by the multitude of angels. On Christmas 2005, were the heavens filled instead wif tears at the condition of the church today?

Yea Lord, we greet thee
Born this happy morning
Jesus to thee be all glory given
Word of the Father
Now in flesh appearing
Oh come let us adore him
Christ the Lord!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?