Sunday, May 28, 2006

Here I am - Air Supply

I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?"

Then I said, "Here am I! Send me."

Isaiah 6v8

I was reading a sister's blog on her experiences on mission late last year. She was away for half a year and blogged about her experiences - and i actually sat and read thru all her posts on those 6 months! It was so encouraging, to see how God worked thru her and her team.

I've always wondered if i'm called for missions. Til now, i still dun know. Well, i'm still young! ;-P

I have had interest in missions for a very long time. I guess it is in some way ironic that i've never had a chance. Maybe God is trying to tell me sumthing?

I'm referring to missions overseas. When we (in my home assembly) had our first overseas short term missions trip, they wanted Mandarin speaking people. Then, the next one was to Indonesia. I was the only one who signed up for it - and when the time came, unrest broke out in Indonesia. It was due to that and the lack of volunteers that the trip was called off. The next time they went to Indonesia, they only approached the engineers and doctors as the main purpose of the trip was to give free clinics and do some engineering works. Finally, last year, i signed up wif CREST to go to Acheh. However, after telling me to prepare meself and all, they just ignored me!!!! Yeah, no contact, nothing. I was pretty disappointed cuz i gave up a lot just to avail meself.

So is that all a sign?

I did go with a team to Bangkok - but that was more of a fact-finding mission. It was great fun, tho!

Well, i can be pretty stubborn and until God closes all doors tightly, i'll always keep the option opened. i believe that not all are called for mission work overseas - but i think that it would be a waste if i dun avail meself to it since i love travelling and experiencing other cultures - altho me language learning is not so good! Part of the reason i'm doing this course now is with a view of having it easier to enter any country.

But i could be wrong - and wat i want may not be wat he wants for me.

On the other hand, as a missionary once told me, we are missionaries wherever we are. When i was serving God in Barking more than 10 years ago, i was in a way, a missionary.

And mission work need not be "overseas". I've have had the privillege of heading many teams for short-term missions in various parts of M'sia. And i thoroughly loved the experience.

I remember the first time (who won't?). Leading my first team ever, not having an assistant. But God worked miracles. It was truly an awesome experience - and a most humbling one. We learn that we can only depend fully on him and him alone. We learn how inadequate we are. We also learn how great his power and his love is. Things will never work out the way we plan - but it will always work for the good of those who love him!

I always remember when we planned for a picnic during our short-term missions at Kota Bharu. When we met up that morning, we were surprised at the overwhelming turn-out! Good - but we only chartered a mini bus! The bus would not be big enough. We scrambled to make last minute plans and started trying to call for extra drivers/cars - and then suddenly, a HUGE bus pulls up. The bus driver came out apologetically. he said the mini bus was being used and this "unfortunately" was the only bus he could get!!!!!!! :-)

The people we meet are so encouraging too. I've never failed to be touched by the hospitality shown by the Christians - and the genuine interest of those whom we come in contact wif. Of course there were those who were rude and mocked us - but it's never enuf to get us down for God gives us reasons always to be thankful.

I'd also have a briliant time wif me mission team members still remains even today. Living together and serving God hand in hand for a few days is a wonderful bonding experience. And even tho most of the time, i would be taking kids, they never fail to teach me something new. And we'd never fail to do something crazy - part of the perks! ;-) Mission trips are not meant to be devoid of fun!



Some of me mission team members on trips to Bidor, Kota Bharu, Batu Gajah & Temerloh


This weekend, me mates and fellow workers back home are away in the jungles of Pahang, reaching out to the Christians there. They would have had to deal wif mozzies and bugs, perhaps a scorpion or a snake, they'd sleep on hard floor and sweat in the humid night (and shiver in the cold morning), they'd bath in cold freezing river water - things that i used to do wif them. I envy them! Cuz they'll be experiencing the wonderful fellowship and see God working thru them.

At least i can still participate by praying for them. And when i get back, i'll be with them again, one hand, one heart.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?