Friday, May 26, 2006

Don't worry, be happy - Bobby McFerrin

Last week, i was overcome wif a familiar feeling. Butterflies in me tummy!

Believe it or not, after so many years of practising as a litigation lawyer, i used to still get that before any major trial or hearing.

And yes, each time i go up on stage or take the pulpit, the same feeling overcomes me.

I'd feel the little fellas fluttering inside me and sometimes i even go gagging, like trying to vomit them out. It doesn't work, of course but it does help calm me nerves!

I had the same feeling last week on the morning or me exam. I guess i was pretty worried - after all, i did not cover as many topics as i would hae liked to. I've never been in a single law exam where i cannot answer the required number of questions. I din want my last one to be my first time to experience that.

But the really weird thing about me is that despite the worry and the anxiety i get before facing a trial, or a speaking engagement, or an exam, once i get started, it all leaves me immediately - and it is replaced instantly with a feeling of euphoria! Yes, conducting a trial is exhilarating and intellectually stimulating. Standing the behind the pulpit and having people listen to me - even listening to meself - is actually quite fun! Doing the exams is like playing a fun and challenging game. and when the trial is over, the time is passed back to the chairman, the exam scripts been colleted by the evigilators, there is this great sense of accomplishment - and a tinge of regret that it is over!

One of the reasons why i wanted to leave practice was because i couldn't take the pre-trial feeling any longer. Yet, the reason i stayed on is cuz conducting the trial gives me such a rush! Strange-eh?

Well, back to last week, as i walked to the Sports Hall where me exam is gonna take place, i reminded meself of the same verse that came to me mind the nite before my Human Rights exam during my undergraduate days - Phil 4v6-7. Never undermine the vaue of scripture memorising!

And as during me undergraduate days, as during me CLP days, as in those moments before a major hearing, and every other time i felt weakened with worry, i experience the peace of God. I just cannot explain it. It's not like wat i was worrying about is not there anymore. I still is. But yet, the burden is lifted - inexplicably.

Truly, it is a peace that passes all understanding.

p/s - pic taken by Weng Soon during an OA outreach trip in 2004 using me Nikon Coolpix 2100

Comments:
i took that?? WOW! I amaze meself..
How bout the reflection pics of petronas twin towers?
 
Wait a minute. Was it not you? Or was it shelby? It was either you or her - wait til she gets back from camerons to confirm.

the reflection pic almost ended in me reflection photoblog - but after much consideration, me thought it wasn't good enuf! ;-P

ok, ok, will try to touch it up and put it there!

p/s - i'm not going to London today so other than the Smeagol fella who has gone to windmill-land, we can still play "jantung". lemme know.
 
Should not be a prob for me.
Have watched X-Men yesterday so me can play "sum" tonight.. or for you this afternoon.

We'll have to wait if the "fong fei kei yau" will join us.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?