Saturday, September 02, 2006

All by myself - Celine Dion

The love of money is the root of all evil, the good book says! It can also be the source of great boredom!!!!!

When Judy called me last week to work some hours this week, i found it really hard not to think of the 6.34 quid an hour. After agreeing to work 8 hours shifts on both Thursday and Friday, she informed me that it'll be dishwashing at the Blues Cafe. I regretted immediately and thankfully decided against working during the weekend too!

Man, it was really bad. I truly regretted it. For one, i had to "reset" me biological clock to wake up for the 8 am shift - which i failed to do.

Secondly, it was super boring!!!!!!! You know the saying "Watching paint dry"? Well, that's a pretty apt description of wat i was doing. No joke.

There were moments when i just leaned by the counter (there wasn't even a chair in the dishwashing area to sit on!) and watch the plates dry off before stacking them and sending them back out again!!!!! No, wasn't being lazy. There wasn't much work to do in the mornings. So i just stood around the dishwashing area and stared into space!

At least at Food-on-3, there are always loads of people around to chat and joke wif, there is always work to do - and time passes so much faster that way.

Being the Blues Cafe instead, there was very minimal staff around - at times, it was just me in the dishwashing and Kylie at the front counter. So no chatting around too!

Thank God that while staring into space, i finally found the radio which was hidden out of sight. So i had SGR Colchester to keep me company - and made the whole thing more bearable! Yeah, i was like singing crazily at the top of me voice, falsetto and all, dancing and whirling around...

I can't remember being so bored before for such a long time! It din help that i had so few hours of sleep.

It was pretty sad, really. None of me "casual staff" mates were around. There i was, in the dishwashing area alone when familiar songs are played over the air and the wonderful memories of the fun we had in that very area came back.

On top of it all, i could have spent the time doing me dissertation or hanging out wif me mates. Instead, i sat on Square 4 all alone staring into the sky during me breaks and had lunches on me own. By the time i finished, i was too exhausted (yes, from watching plates dry - no seriously, it gets crazy from 1:30 pm onwards when ALL the stufss come in, including from Sizzlers, another restaurant on campus. When it rains, it pours!) and spend the rest of the evening watching Buffy.

Last nite, the internet connection went off in the halls... and i felt really so crippled without it. Couldn't check mail, couldn't blog, couldn't suft, couldn't read news.... I'm in the Labs now. The bad news is that since its the weekend, the problem may not be solved til next week. *sigh*

On the bright note, we are having our farewell dinner tonite! :-) Gonna be loads of fun - and pics too! Something to look forward to.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?