Sunday, January 15, 2006

Say my name - Destiny's Child

What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any word would smell as sweet

From Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2) (Bill Shakespeare)

I've blogged previously about names and people whom I've met like Lily Lee Li Li and Lypink Chong Lye Ping.

I was reading this article - just now only - about names Filipinos give to their children! (click here) Joker, Ace, Hitler, Luzviminda (taken from the three main regions of the Philippines: Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao - apparently very famous now), Jejomar (a composite of Jesus, Joseph and Mary), Peachy, Boy, Girlie, Candy, Caramel, Cookie, Peanut and Popcorn, Sunday, Monday, Wednesday are apparently some names - altho the writer can't confirm is these are their real names or just nicknames.

I wonder if this is true - must check wif me only Filipino mate, Krissy (she has a "normal" sounding name, tho!).

Anyways, today, as I walking back to me halls, I heard someone calling out a name. It sounded like "Alicia". I ignored it and continued walking as the person kept on calling "Alicia! Alicia!" This went on for a bit until i realised that there was no one else around. So i turned to the direction of the voice and realised it was one of me coursemates. He was calling me!!!! Then it dawned on me that he wasn't calling "Alicia". You see, he has problems remembering names. So he came up wif this "ingenious" idea of referring to his classmates by the country they are from! He calls me "Malaysia"!!!! And i guess that's a good idea seeing that there are so few Malaysians around and I'm the only Malaysian in our course!

Well, another classmate does make an effort to call me by my name but he got it wrong from day one. I wrote my name for him on his note pad - and he started calling me "Moon"!!!! (I wrote "Mun") I made the mistake of letting it go the first time round. He kept at it and now, it has come to a point where it's quite difficult for me to go "Errr... by the way, you are pronouncing my name wrongly...". I wonder how long more before others follow him and call me that! It'll be funny if i find a chinese girlfren named "Sun" - we can then sing "Sun and Moon" from Miss Saigon!!!!

Still, these fellas are better than this American flatmate of mine. There was once when she was talking about this Chinese flatmate of ours and she referred to her as "No. 6" - because this chinese girl lives in room no. 6!!!!! I was bemused by that. I mean it's not like "No. 6" had a difficult chinese name. "No. 6" actually gave herself a normal English name. But my good old American flatmate din even bother to remember that!!!! I told Michael (my other flatmate) about this who wasnt surprised and said that she prolly dun even know my name as well!!!!!

This was proven last week when there were a few of us in the kitchen. I was cooking so i had me back turned and this American girl suddenly asked me sumthing. I thought she was talking to someone else so i din reply. There was this silence - she tried to get my attention but couldn't find the words (or my name for that matter!!!) - until one of my other flatmates decided to put her out of her misery and told her my name!!!!!!!

Yanks! *sigh*

The irony about the whole thing is that we can have long conversations together. In fact, she has even invited me to her home in California!!!!!!

I can just picture the scenario - "Mom, this used to be my flatmate. Just call him "No. 5"!!!!!"

Comments:
Hahah...Malaysia? Don't u just love your country now? hahah.....it's like ur identity. I suppose u don't hate ur identity? haha

anyway....it's so funny. When u mention a girlfriend name SUN, guess who I thought of??

A small petite girl from Life Chapel has that name too!!

:)
 
talking bout names, came across this blog by a christian named sherman kuek.

name of blog: "Sherman On The Mount"


p.s. *really lame ahead:* but wat if u got urself a nigerian girlfriend with an affinity for short names like bo, then ur flatmate can refer tell her mum, "meet MunBo No 5!"!
 
from TLC? Vin-sun? Wil-sun? Sun-ny? wait - did u say a girl??

;-P

she's a nice girl but she oredi got a "mun" in her family.

kc - nuthing will ever beat yr bangla coursemate's name!!!! and lame-ness is most welcomed. no one here is lame and conversely, they cant seem to appreciate me lame jokes. so believe it or not, i have not said anything lame (save on me blog) for a long long time. sad-eh?
 
hahahahahaha....
 
but i can't blame people that dont rmb names...
i have a VERY hard time rmb-ing names, and its quite embarrassing, except that i'm so pro at it that i know how to cover-line well
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?