Saturday, January 07, 2006

Wasting my time - Take That

I can't believe that I have not set foot out of the halls for the past 3 days - and yet, save for last nite, I have not done anything really productive!!!!!

It's scary.

This reminds me when I was in UEL and I could spend the entire day in me room!!!! And when I finally make an "appearance" at nite at the kitchen, me flatmates would be asking where I've been!!!!! Of course, back then, I could boil water in me room so I dun need to shuffle to and from the kitchen to make me cups of coffees!

The days just flew by - I watched movies, listened to music, surf the net, read Grisham, update me blog, post pics onto me online photo albums, reply mails (I check mails like every 5 mins or so - and usually end up disappointed), chat wif fmily and frens online... and sleep.

This would have been the ideal holidays - if not for the fact that I have 2 essays to complete (or shall I say, to start!!!) and 1 test to prepare for!

Yesterday, I came up wif a game plan - I'll pack me stuffs and camp out at the 24 hour reading room. No distractions, no e-mails, no blogs, no DC++, nothing. Just me and me notes.

Then I found out that the reading room closed yesterday at 5 pm and will remain closed til Monday morn! Aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

You know, it's bad but I've been thinking a lot about... well, wat's wrong wif being mediocre? I mean, who cared that I was the top student in first year of me undergraduate studies? That I was a book prize winner for the 2nd year. That I finally scored a 2nd Class Upper with honours? They were more interested to find out where I got the degree from. Heck - I got rejected by S'pore not cuz my grades werern't good enuf but cuz they din think too much of me Uni!

I am confident that I shud be able to pass me Masters. It's just a question now of what classification.

So who really bothers? When you meet someone wif a Masters Degree, do u ask if he got it wif a distinction or not? A Masters is a Masters. A PhD is a PhD. I have to remind meself that I'm getting a Masters to pursue my plans. So why not just aim to get the Masters?

During me undergraduate days, I sacrificed a lot to get me 2nd Class Upper. I basically did not have a life. My life consisted of going to the library and camping there til they kicked me out. Am I prepared to do it again for me Masters? If I had to answwer that question honestly now, it would be in the negative.

Sigh.... i just got no motivation now. I mean - I read that the top LLM in Human Rights student will get.... *drum roll* (say the following like how Dr. Evil would) - One Hundred... and fifty quid!

Yup, 150 pounds. Sheesh... That's what i got in Malaysian Ringgit when I was the top student for 1st year.

Still, I am always reminded of me study motto - which is based on 1 Corinthians 10v31 - in everything that I do, i do it for His glory.

The silver lining to it is that I've started last nite to do some really useful reading. It's really not difficult. And quite interesting too.

Still, I'll start again later - me gotta get out of the halls for a while. Take a walk. Perhaps some fresh air will help. I miss the Scottish Highlands air!

Comments:
i wanted to mention to you the other day, but suddenly your flatmate walked in.
Being mediocre is wrong when you know you've been blessed with what it takes to be better. We are after all stewards of the talents given us
 
keep up the blogging mate!...ive gotta start me bloggin engine sometime soon...btw...Happy New Year bro!
 
markus: just wat i needed after me scotland trip - a guilt trip! ;-) but seriously, good point. we'll talk more, k?

JL: hey man! blessed new year to u too! am still checking yr blog daily... and hoping! haha!

.k.: yup, you saw thru me. i'm just an insecure guy who had to find some way to boast of all me achievements! ;-P so how's the summer? got your hat for the ... wat u call it? the melbourne horse-racing thingy? or is it over oredi? pardon me ignorance!
 
well, now that u mention it, i think i remembered u blogging about it? or posting some pics? one pic? or was that for the year before?

spring, summer, watever. get confused wif the northern and southern hemisphere.

and wat a good fren of mine always says "me brain hurts".
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?