Saturday, March 11, 2006

Dear Diary - M2M

What a week! Officially, it was week 23 of the academic year. It was oso the "reading week" for Human Rights students. Basically, there's just no classes for the whole week for us. Technically, it's meant for us to revise for the end of term exams which is before Easter hols. But us LLM Human Rights fellas dun have exams! Still, we have our research essay due end of term so the break was welcomed.

I was thinking that it'd be a most uneventful week of just doing super crazy research and starting on me essay. I was wrong on both accounts!!!! I've not started on me essay and it was an eventful week!

In no order of importance:-

1. There was a lecturer strike on Tuesday! Yup, they wan more money - which was promised to them. But since it's reading week for us, it din effect us at all;

2. A student referendum was taken on the issue of annonymous marking! Again, it din effect us Law Department students cuz our dept does practice annonymous marking (which is prolly one of the reasons why the Law Dept stands out from most othr depts here). It was weird cuz to most of us, it was a no brainer - of course we should have annonymous marking - i.e. the exams/essays are marked without the examiner knowing which student it is they are marking. After all, dun we all want to be judged based on our performance and ability than on our reputation (or how tight we are wif our lecturers)?

Well, apparently, the students here prefer the latter!!!! What the...???? Yup, the vote was counted and those opposing annonymous marking won by a big majority.

I did vote - even if it din affect me. It still doesn't.

3. I finally played a PERFECT game of Hearts on me PDA!!!!!



I've scored ZERO points and every other player lost by going over the 100 mark! This was achieved by me "shooting the moon" 4 times in a row! Oh, btw, i named my computer opponents after me Hearts' mates back home - Weng Soon, Michael and Kok Choong, all of whom scored 104 points each. Muahahahaha!!!!!

4. Liverpool crashed out of the Champions League! :-(

5. I finally finished me Grisham book!!!! (see here)

6. Since then, I've started on 2 other books - Pride and Prejudice and A Prison Diary by Archer, the former is my dinner companion while the latter is my companion in the library when i need a short break from me studies.

7. Results are out! Finally!!!! Read about it here. Me did pretty well, praise God!

8. I tried going back to the reading room to study - but couldn't! Crazy. It was so noisy in there! I was pretty mad. I actually went back to me room. Yeah, i chickened out and din tell them off. There were all girls and there were A LOT of them!

9. The weather during the week was lovely - not cold (the lake was no longer frozen) and it actually was really warm. It din last long tho as it turned cold yesterday and it snowed today!




10. I updated my "secret blog"!!!

11. I went for me first job interview and got a job! Woohoo! I'm a tech guy, now, doing P.A. and lighting! ;-P Me quite fortunate - thank God. Cuz me Masters' student (the only post-grad new staff, i believe) so that means that they'll train me now but i'll leave after summer - altho i promised i'll be around for Freshers' Fair in autumn.

12. Today was first day of job - and I was almost late!!!! It started at 10 am.


Me unfinished breakfast... Posted by Picasa

It wasn't much - it was an induction session. Kinda boring at times - do the usual stuffs like ice-breakers, then grp discussion on vision statement and expectations. There were some talks and we even watched a short video entitled "Fish" - which was pretty good. May blog bout it some other time.

Us tech guys were grouped together wif the stewards cuz for some reason, our team leader wasnt around. So i got briefed a lot on wat stewards do - which has nothing to do wif me!!!

It would have been a total waste of time if not for the fact that i was getting paid just to be there! :-)

13. After being stuck in me room so long, i had to "get out" - so i'm back in the library now to study. I've planted meself on the top floor, at a place overlooking the lake! Quite nice. On top of that, i'm surrounded by English Lit books - 17th century right up to present day!

14. I've got a new phone! :-) Still using the old number at the moment!

15. I watched On Her Majesty's Secret Service - finally! The one and only James Bond movie starred by George Lazenby.



I must admit that it was really good!!!!! George impressed me! It is the longest James Bond movie ever and it boast of some pretty impressive snow-sports stunts (bear in mind this was in the late 60s). It oso has IMHO the most impressive "Bond girl"! She was pretty (duh - like of course), smart, skillful and saved Bond's life a couple of times! Oso, she managed to make Bond do sumthing that no other Bond-girl had manage to - and will prolly never be able to do. Actually, it's 2 things! Highlight the following portion if you wanna know - Bond married her! And he cried at the end because of her. You see, she died. That's sumthing no other Bond-girl did oso!!! (End of spoiler!)


The only time when Bond gets down on his knees!


The final scene - the only sad ending to a Bond movie?

I understand why some fans say this was the best Bond movie ever!

I was reading about how fans were threatening to boycott the next James Bond movie here. Check out the link to "Craignotbond" website linked in that page!!! I must admit that Daniel Criag will have to pull some miracle to pull it off.

I still dun understand why him. Clive Owen would have been perfect! Hugh Jackman and Ewan McGregor would have been good too. Heck, even bad-boy Colin Ferrell would have been better.

16. I did my laundry!!! Finally! Hand-washed, mind you. So it ahd to be little by little each day since me got only one small pail and there's only so much you can dry on one radiator! At least me jeans dun smell anymore...

17. Me supervisor finally fixed an appointment to meet me next Wednesdat!!!! Yeah, wif less than 2 weeks left. Sheesh...

18. OK. I better stop here - the last one. I moved some furniture in me room. Guess i figued a change would do me good.


Left: before; Right: Now!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?