Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Try - Debbie Gibson

It has been a pretty discouraging time for me in some ways. Since November last year, i've been trying to get a job. Up til now, i've been an absolute failure! For those who took the trouble to reply to my applications, it all came in small envelopes - which usually means bad news. After all, how long a letter do you need to say "thanks for your interest - sorry but we will not call you in for an interview"???

Then, yesterday, i was going thru the internship database and i decided to look for job vacancies for work after my course. It was equally frustrating - most of the organisations in Europe require a good knowledge of the English language AND either French, or Spanish, or any one of UN's official language.

Even if such a requirement was not stated, all the job vacancies require experience - 5 years or 7 years in human rights related work! How am i gonna get expereince if you only employ those wif experience??? It's just like how one of me mates went for an interview in London and was asked if she has a National Insurance Number. She said no because one needs to get employment before an NI No. is issued. The interviewer told her that they can't employ her if she does not have an NI no.!!!!!! Simlarly, some asked for her bank account and she told them that the bank will not allow her to open an account until she obtains employment. She was told then they can't employ her if she doesn't have a bank account!!!!! Sigh...

Anyways, praise God that i got an interview - finally!!! It went well and the interviewer liked me. But the problem is that i'll be leaving the Uni in October this year (this is a student job) - so if they take me in and train me, i'll only be able to work for a short time. It would make more sense to get a first or second year student!

In any event, he told me that ill be informed of the final decision tomorrow.

Still, it was quite fun, going for the interview and all. I was pretty impressed by the interviewer too. He exudes confidence and authority. He's the main man - and i think it would be cool to work under him. He'll prolly thrash you up if you mess up but he'll be fair - and will recognise your efforts. In the short time of chatting wif him, he said he could tell that i'm the kind that if given a task to do with the proper training, he can just leave it to me and i'll get it done.

That was wat my ex-partner used to say of me - he always complains about my procrastination but he acknowledges that i'll get the job done independantly.

I use to hate him because fo that... I mean, he would delegate responsibilities to me and just leave me on me own!!!! Aih... but that's in the past - all is water under the bridge now. :-) And for the record, he did help when i go running to him in despair!

I guess my state of unemployment is a blessing in disguise as studies and work load have been pretty heavy. Still, methinks that if i get a job, it won't affect my studies - it'll prolly effect my blogging, tho!!!! ;-)

Got an e-mail today - the library is offering a vacancy! I'm gonna go for that too! Worth a try!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?