Saturday, October 15, 2005

Downtown - Petula Clark

over 13,500 listed buildings - Britain's first capital and oldest recorded town - one of the driest climates in England - a lively town catering for a student's every need - excellent links to the whole of the UK and Europe - less than an hour away from London

(quoted on one of the webpages in the UoE website - check it out here!
It has links for more info on Colchester town)


I took a break from studies today!!!! It was a small relief that the week ended. It has been pretty tough (I had been so busy that as the Cantonese people say, I din even have time to ... erm... go to toilet and... you know...!!!! But I finally did today and... nvm!!!!) but thankfully, things will be much lighter next week.

Went down to the town centre. It was a lovely day. Sunny, even! Truly, Essex must be one of the driest place in the UK!!!!

Colchester town is really big! I mean, I'm comparing it wif Barking. It has everything!!!!!! Really! For shopping, it has the whole works - Marks & Spenser, Dabenhams, BHS, Co-op, HMV, Virgin, Argos, WH Smith, Boots, Sainsbury etc. You wanna eat? Plenty of places from fast food joints like Burger King, McDs, KFC, Pizza Hut to chinese restaurants all over the place, to Thai food, to kebab shops etc. I even saw that Starbucks will be opening soon! And for entertainment, there's the theatre and oso there's Odeon! There are nice touristy places and there's even a public library there.

So yeah, it is big. I got lost a couple of times.

I met up wif Markus and we had a nice long lunch.

I guess it's nice to just "get away from it all", relax, and wander aimlessly. Retail therapy! Without the shopping. Oh, and also look at people! Very interesting folk, these Brits.

I finaly bought me a plant! They had street markets in town "...every Saturday and Friday." Dun ask me why it's "Saturday and Friday" and not "Friday and Saturday"!!!

I was looking at the potted heathers - lovely but the lady told me that the heather is to be planted outdoors and not suitable as a house plant. She recommended me this other plant - I asked her the name but forgot it almost immediately! It cost me 1 pound 50.



Me new plant! Posted by Picasa

As I walked back to Uni, Petula Clark's song came to mind and stuck wif me all the way back!

When you're alone and life is making you lonely,
You can always go downtown
When you've got worries, all the noise and the hurry
Seems to help, I know, downtown
Just listen to the music of the traffic in the city
Linger on the sidewalk where the neon signs are pretty
How can you lose?
The lights are much brighter there
You can forget all your troubles, forget all your cares and go
Downtown, things'll be great when you're
Downtown, no finer place for sure,
Downtown, everything's waiting for you
(Downtown)

Don't hang around and let your problems surround you
There are movie shows downtown
Maybe you know some little places to go to
Where they never close downtown
Just listen to the rhythm of a gentle bossanova
You'll be dancing with 'em, too, before the night is over
Happy again
The lights are much brighter there
You can forget all your troubles, forget all your cares and go
Downtown where all the lights are bright,
Downtown, waiting for you tonight,
Downtown, you're gonna be alright now
(Downtown downtown)
Downtown
(Downtown)

And you may find somebody kind to help and understand you
Someone who is just like you and needs a gentle hand to
Guide them along
So, maybe I'll see you there
We can forget all our troubles, forget all our cares and go
Downtown, things'll be great when you're
Downtown, don't wait a minute more,
Downtown, everything's waiting for you
Downtown (downtown) downtown (downtown)
Downtown (downtown) downtown (downtown)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?