Friday, October 14, 2005

Magic – Olivia Newton-John

Watched a movie tonite. It was organised by the Jap society here. So I managed to kill 2 birds wif one stone – watched a great Japanese anime movie and ogled at good looking Jap girls here on campus!!!!

Seriously, wat attracted me to the movie was the fact that it was directed by the same person who directed the wonderful “Spirited Away”. Yeah, Hayao Miyazaki, a familiar name to anime fans.

The movie is Majo no takkyubin (Kiki’s Delivery Service!)



Kiki and Jiji, flying over the fictional town of Kokiro Posted by Picasa

Basically, it was the story of how a young witch…

Did I hear a *gasp*???

Oh dear… yeah, yeah yeah – wat is a Christian like me watching a show about witches??? How can I be supporting such things? It’s like reading Harry Potter books, yada yada yada…

Look, if it bothers you, the by all means, abstain from it. But if you can recognise that it just a movie and not be bothered that the heroin happens to be a witch (which we all know that witches in the Biblical sense are evil), then you will find yourself enjoying a wonderful sweet heart-warming animated feature!

Where was I? Yes, a witch named Kiki (oh, no points for creative names, tho – Kiki, Jiji and Lily!!!! But thank God it stopped there. No Mimi, Nini…) who upon reaching here reaching here 13th birthday leaves her home to find a new town to settle in and complete her training for 1 year.

OK – it is not as good as “Spirited Away” but it is no less magical! The way the story weaves itself out – it just keeps you wanting for more!!! And when the credits come out, you are filled wif regret that the brilliant ride is finally over. But hang on – keep on watching the credits, ok!

I guess in a way, it relates to me a lil – being away on my own, trying hard to settle in a new place, meeting new people, facing obstacles, making new frens.

----Warning – minor spoilers ahead!!!!-----

(highlight the following portion to read)

And just when Kiki feels like she’s gonna settle down, she finds that she’s beginning to lose her magical powers! Her mate Ursula tells her that the abilities we have – painting, baking, and in Kiki’s case, flying, are all given to us by God. And we’ll never lose it! Altho sumtimes we find that we struggle!

It was a lil encouraging for me too. I considered meself quite alrite in studies but this week has been a struggle wif the intensive course on Public International Law – which was a refresher for many but completely new to me!

I was drowning under tons of reading material and lost in the discussions – Article 20, the UN Charter, Chapter VII, ICCPR, ECHR, ICJ, jus cogens, Common Article 3, the Nicaragua Case, ICTfY, ICTR, ILAC, ICL, the Vienna Convention…

But I’m reminded that it is God who gives me the ability to study. And things will get better – just dun worry and tire myself out. Not just yet!

And just like Kiki’s experience, it’s gonna be magical!

p/s – oh, I met up wif Markus Ng for the movie! It was nice to se him again – and chat wif sumone without worrying about all my “la”s!!!!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?