Monday, October 17, 2005

Sacrifice - Elton John

I was pleasantly surprised when they announced at the beginning of the meeting that there'll be a communion service after the Evening service! Being a brethren from young, not having communion since last month is a long time!!!!

Oh, they use unleavened bread for communion! And the leaders bring the bread and the cup up to each individual. After taking from the cup, they will wipe it bfore handing it over to the next person. I guess wif the congregation at about 20 to 30, they can afford to do just that.

I was truly blessed by the Communion service. I found out later that they normally have it in the morning but on that particular morning, they were having an evangelistic do so they pushed it to the evening. If I had gone for the morning service instead, I would have missed it!

I guess as humans… or speaking for meself, as a human being, I need physical reminders and objects – I need to touch and feel things. Sure, I can remember that Christ died for me all the time but to sit in his presence and take of the bread and the wine as he had commanded us to do so many years ago brings home the message so much better and makes it so real. Truly, our Lord is great in wisdom when he gave us physical objects and practices – like the bread and wine – to help us in remembering what he has done for us.

At the end of the service, we sang one of me favourite hymns, Isaac Watts’ “When I survey the wondrous cross”.

When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of Glory died
My richest gain I count as loss
And pour contempt on all my pride

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast
Save in the cross of Christ my God
All the vain things that charm me most -
I sacrifice them to his blood

See from his head, his hands, his feet -
Sorrow and love flow mingled down
Did e'er such love and sorrow meet
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

Were the whole realm of nature mine
'Twould be an offering far too small
Love so amazing, so divine
Demands my soul, my life, my all!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?